18 February 2011

Your facial expression

Lately I have become so obsessed with facial expressions and body language. Well I’ve always been and I’ve always judged people by their expressions. I think I can read people’s feelings through how they express themselves both bodily and facially. Surely everyone can figure out the basic expressions; like differentiating between an angry and a happy face.

I find it more fascinating when I analyse someone’s face and instantly ask them what’s wrong with them and their answer matches my own thoughts. I believe this is a valuable skill to have. But you know what? Sometimes I over read it and it worries me to approach someone because I know what they would say. I wonder most of the time if I would have the right response to elevate some of their burden or even share their happiness when I’m in awful mood.

It was only a month ago when I was commuting with friends on the bus and I realised this middle aged white man looking at me abstractedly. It throw me away for a couple of seconds; especially when he couldn’t get his eyes off us. I let it pass and I didn’t comment but then he initiated a conversation. He said without any prior greeting ‘wow, do you know how many facial expressions you guys have made in the past 5 minutes?’ – Now, at this point I actually laughed. Firstly, he was a stranger conversing with us about our facial expressions and secondly he was confident enough to expect a reply from us. We could’ve easily pretended that he was perving on us.

I with my curious nature continued the conversation with him and we talked for a long time, mind you everyone on the bus was stunned at the depth of our conversation and I can see people’s eyes on us. Regardless, I found the conversation even more intriguing since then.

I’m also growing fond of photographs of facial expressions & portraits, especially B&W. Everything about it; the smallest of details makes me appreciate every muscle in our face and its capability.


truly a photograph can tell a story

I don't even know who he is but god, do I love the expression?!


This another clip a friend share with me, love it.


I sometimes can't wait to age with time, to see my face changing and telling my story and journey, it's truly a pleasure to witness it with my own eyes. Things should be left to change and no one should tamper with nature.

2 comments:

  1. me likes :) a lot! I saw your site on my favourites and had to check for the latest and wasnt let down :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always treasure you dear <3

    ReplyDelete