15 January 2011

Rageh Omaar & us!


So last night I and my Elays team were privileged to meet the notorious Rageh Omaar. A simple guy who captivates you with the magic of his words and mind. Rageh is a journalist who shone in his career; he worked for the BBC and recently joined Al-Jazeera News Channel.

Rageh came to support Elays role in the community as a youth group who aim to inspire, empower and build other youth in their communities.

What intrigued me the most about him is his unfussiness with how he looks, acts or even talks in front strangers like us, who only just met him for the first time. He took a seat and immediately acted like he was in the comfort of his own house. He apologised for being late and he wore the startling smile of his. It made me feel more relaxed and geared up to absolutely give my 5 senses the full attention to what he got to say. He inspired us by giving a brief introduction about his life; from the day he was born until this day. Then we had a Q&A session where we discussed various topics, from his life, his view in politics, Somalia, community, youth and what can be done to improve the stereotypical misconceptions about youth in general.

All I know is that time went by so quickly, it almost felt like we only been there for an hour. Nevertheless we covered a lot of things and we were fuelled with a whole lot of enthusiasm, passion, self-assurance to go out there and do more for the youth.

Then *drum rolls* it was photography time. The guy is absolutely photogenic and his smile is a million dollar one. It just comes naturally to him. I really don’t know if this is because he is used to taking endless photographs with the public or it’s just natural. Either ways he looked awesome in all his photos with Elays apart from mine. My turn came and it was the moment I was waiting for. What I didn’t realise is how I looked, mind you I’m totally fussy with my photos. It seemed like I had double chin, Hijab not fixed in the way I like it either. After the photograph was taken I checked it and Oh My God it looked like a mug shot photograph. I’m not exaggerating even if you don’t agree with me (to those who’ve seen it). I was disappointed and of course I wont share it here *smirky face*  

But but but what I will share is his photograph holding Elmi Magazine. The magazine I edit along side with Sadiya and Mahmoud; my co-editors. I tell you looking at this photograph it gives me the oomph to do a much better 3rd edition of Elmi Magazine Inshallah.

Rageh Omaar
                   


Ps: if you want a copy of the magazine, contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment